Pain is a problematic annoyance that can impact one’s life. Pain is your body’s way of sending you a message, and chronic pain (pain lasting three months or longer) can sometimes be indicative of an underlying condition that you should have a medical professional look at. While medication can sometimes be used to provide short-term relief, it won’t make any difference if you are suffering from chronic, long-term pain. If you are looking for an effective way to treat your pain and gain long-lasting relief, physical therapy is the treatment method for you. Contact Fusion Performance today to schedule your consultation and learn more about how our services can benefit you!
What’s the difference between chronic and acute pain?
The cause of acute pain can sometimes be easily determined, especially if it is the result of an automobile accident, a sport or work injury, or a surgical operation. With acute pain, the discomfort generally fades as the affected part of the body heals. However, chronic pain is a bit different. The cause of chronic pain may be more difficult to determine, and it can linger for months or even years before the reason is diagnosed and relief is found. Chronic pain may be the result of:
- Chronic pain syndromes, such as fibromyalgia, which may affect nerves and muscles.
- Chronic overuse injuries, such as tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, or carpal tunnel syndrome.
- General muscle weakness, due to poor posture or an unbalanced body, that can cause knots or spasms.
- Degenerative joint conditions, such as osteoarthritis, which produce chronic pain and inflammation.
- Extended lack of use, such as a lengthy recovery period after a procedure, that can cause the affected area to feel stiff or “frozen.”
- Areas of internal scar tissue buildup that can restrict neighboring muscles and connective tissues.
Modern medicine tends to turn to drugs early and often, in an effort to alleviate pain problems. Unfortunately, this approach doesn’t always work in the long run. The drugs may mute the pain while they’re in your system, but the underlying problem that’s causing the pain remains untreated. As long as that untreated condition persists, so will your long-term pain – meaning an endless cycle of drugs, pain, and then more drugs. This may force you to use more and more medication as your pain continues to linger, which can become problematic as certain drugs can come with harmful side effects and addictive chemicals.
The natural treatment for pain relief:
As previously mentioned, physical therapy is the best way to gain long-term relief for your condition. This is something that pain-management drugs simply cannot do in the long run. Our physical therapists will conduct a physical evaluation to determine the root of your pain and then prescribe an individualized treatment plan to you accordingly. Our treatment plans help manage pain, and can sometimes eliminate it altogether. We also look at any functional abnormalities you may have, and work hard to help you regain your optimal levels of physical function. Our natural techniques include, but are not limited to:
- Manual therapy to decrease inflammation of your internal tissues.
- Ice and heat therapies to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Electrical muscle stimulation to stimulate your body’s natural painkillers (endorphins) through tiny amounts of electrical current.
- Ultrasound therapy to enhance blood flow and relax tight muscle fibers through sound waves.
Your physical therapist will also prescribe gentle exercises and stretches to target the painful areas of your body and help improve mobility. These will address both localized pain and referred pain issues.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), non-pharmaceutical pain treatment is actually preferred over pharmaceutical pain treatment, and in most cases, they even do a better job at controlling pain. We work by treating pain at the source, rather than simply masking it. If you are looking for a way to rid yourself of the pesky aches and pains you face every day, don’t hesitate to contact Fusion Performance today. We’ll provide you with effective pain relief for whatever condition may be plaguing you – without the risks of harmful drugs!